Thursday, January 29, 2009

New Portlights....

The original portlights on TIH, although serviceable, were showing their age. The lip on the outside also protruded a little too much, IMHO.





They had been manufactured by a company which is now part of Pompanette LLC

Initially I had not planned to undertake this work for another year or so (remember this is a 3 year project, because I'm stuck in Miami for another three years :-(( ). However, after painting the ceiling of the forward heads' I knew it would be wise to change them now (it might have been even wiser to change them before I painted the heads).



And the Miami Boat Show is coming up, so there might be some deals to be had on new portlights. I am looking at the two portlights offered by New Found Metals;

A complete stainless steel model and this one;

It looks very interesting, more research to follow.

I have heard that the S/S model heats up in the sun and heats the airflow into the boat. Any opinion welcome.

2 comments:

builder said...

NFM makes good quality stuff and the price is reasonable. If you are replacing all portlights, ask them to cut you a deal on one big order. They have been known to do this. I think they can do custom sizes if needed.

The Incredible Hull said...

I plan to visit them at the Miami Boat Show.