Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lovely delivery trip and lessons learned....




Just back from a great trip helping a lovely family move their Whitby 42 from the Bahamas to Charleston. I take every opportunity to sail on Whitby's as each time I learn something new. The trip was a combination of a few overnight sails / motor and a trip inside the ICW when conditions outside did not look inviting. Lessons learned included;

1. Firming up my views on the use of Ipod's/laptop's versus dedicated GPS plotters in the cockpit.

2. The need to redesign the saloon table for offshore work.

I plan to rejoin the vessel for the offshore leg from Norfolk to NY.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Gerry, Great job on your Electrical System. I totally agree about Active Captain. Jeff is partners with PolarView and PolarCom Nav software. Grib, AC, and NOAA charts all together seemlessly. We have it on a new Panasonic Toughbook CF31. Same as used my Military, Cops, Police, Paramedics etc. Very tough. Has built in GPS, webcam (for Skype)
Keep it in Microwave during Thunderstorms. In case primary chartplotter is fried. Handheld is Garmon Oregon 400c.

Patrick