Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thru-Hull failure.. you can lead a horse to water....

but you know the rest.

As my reader(s) may know I have an arrangement with a National "Waterlife Outfitter", previously known as a marine retailer (the arrangement is that I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me).  I do enjoy working there and quite a few of my customers fall into the "interesting" category, yesterday I had a good example.

They brought in this item (on the left of the following photo);

This was installed on a "Classic Plastic" type sailboat not some "Tupperware" bay boat.  I gave them my lecture on the installation of proper thru-hulls (shown on the right), including showing them "Main Sails" excellent video on what happens when you do it wrong.

CLICK HERE (Please support Maine Sail, he is a marine national treasure). 

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL ARTICLE

 AND HERE

This is the inside of the original valve;


After a few phone calls with the owner they decided to just replace the original install.  Interestingly the deciding factor was the time it would take to do the install and not the cost difference of the fittings, which was not much. As we say in South Florida  "Vaya con Dios"

1 comment:

Dan said...

I had a thru-hull that was in worse condition that I had to replace since the backing, which was made of wood, got soft and made the whole assembly loose. I installed a new on per Maine Sails instructions and it turned out great! Now, when I haul out later this year, I will have 5 more to replace and 2 I may cover and get rid of altogether (removed old head).

Definitely worth the extra effort for peace of mind.